Monday, May 12, 2014

Gluten and Dairy Free Cornbread

Gluten and Dairy Free Cornbread

 
Really this is more of a cornbread cake. This was really good and I made it for a family get together.
 
I got the original recipe from Pinterest on here: http://thesistersdish.blogspot.com/2009/04/boston-market-cornbread.html
 
And I recreated it in a gluten and dairy free version.
 
 
 
 

Ingredients:

  • 1 box of King Arthur brand Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
  • 2 bags of Pamela's Gluten free Cornbread and Muffin Mix
    • Both of these are also dairy free - I checked the labels
 
 
The Cornbread mix calls for these ingredients and instructions and can be found on this website: http://www.pamelasproducts.com/southern-skillet-cornbread/
Ingredients:
  • 1 bag Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix
  • 3 eggs, large
  • 1 cup buttermilk (to make use 1 cup of rice, coconut, almond or soy milk and add 1 tbsp. of vinegar)
  • For a thicker cornbread, as shown in picture, double this recipe
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°.
Mix all ingredients together and set aside. Place cast iron or heavy metal skillet in oven to preheat. Carefully spoon 1 TBSP butter or shortening into hot pan and return to the oven until melted. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet and return to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, or inserted toothpick comes out clean.
 
The Cake Mix calls for these ingredients and instructions and can be found on this website:
 
In the cake mix I substituted the 1/2 cup of butter equally with a 1/2 cup of butter flavored Crisco.
I also substituted the milk with Silk Coconut milk, unsweetened equally for 2/3 cup.
 

Directions:

I first made the cake mix according to their instructions and then added in the 2 bags of cornbread mix. I did not double the amount of added ingredients (3 eggs and 1 cup of buttermilk) for the 2 bags, but rather kept it with just what one bag called for. It seemed like too many eggs since the cake mix called for 4 and only one bag called for 3 eggs. So I did not put in as much wet ingredients as I did dry, which is ok when cooking gluten free as the type of flour is typically very absorbent. I did substitute buttermilk using 1 cup of coconut milk with 1 tbsp. of vinegar instead.
 
I baked in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes and then realized it was browning before it was done in the middle, so I lowered the heat to 325 degrees F and then baked for an extra 5-10 minutes and it was complete.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment